Monday, July 2, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

  This is a picture of Kate Messner.  I discovered her through the Teacher's Write Summer Camp.  Not only is she helping hundreds of teachers to write this summer, she is also a wonderful author for children.  I sidetracked from my reading list last week and read The Brilliant Fall of Gianna Z.  I loved it.  I think it will make a perfect read aloud for my students this fall.  I really like the quiz you can take at the end to determine "What Kind of Tree Are You?"  I was already planning on having a tree bulletin board so...  Her website is http://www.katemessner.com.

Anyway, back to last weeks list.  I read many of the books on my list last week, but not all.  So, I am not going to add any new ones to my list.  If I finish last weeks list early, I will read from the stacks, yes stacks, of books I have here in my home and the hundreds of books on my Kindle!  There's always the library, too.  I wanted to run to the library on Saturday, when I got the notice that Beach House by Mary Alice Monroe was ready to be picked up.  But, I knew I still had many books to read so, I held my self back, but I will go and get it - yes, today!  Anyway,  I want to recommend The Fluent Reader by Timothy V. Rasinski.  


Fluent Reader- Revised & Expanded (2nd, 10) by Rasinski, Timothy [Paperback (2010)]

  He talks about the value of reading aloud to students and practicing oral reading in the classroom.  He shares many great ideas to accomplish this.  He discusses assisted reading and shows a model for effective learning.  There is a CD that shows video clips, podcasts, and ready-to-print pages.  My book is well bookmarked and I am ready to use many of his ideas in my classroom.

I decided to not read Skeleton Letters by Laura Childs.  I've read several of her books and honestly it felt like the same old, same old.

Books still on my list:
  • The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White
  • Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse
  • Essential Strategies for Word Study by Timothy Rasinski & Jerry Zutell


Happy Reading Everyone!

Kathy


No comments:

Post a Comment