Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Happy Teacher, Happy Class


                      
Shelfari
The Happiness Project
 

                               The Happiness Project by:  Gretchen Rubin

Are you happy today?  What about yesterday, last week, last year?  I read a book called The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin and wanted to share it with you.  Gretchen decided that she wanted to dedicate a year to researching happiness and being happy.  During that process she wrote a memoir.  I was interested in this book, not only for my personal happiness and family happiness, but for the happiness of my classroom.  Most of my days as a teacher have been happy days.  But, there are days that I wake up and I am grumpy, cranky, bad-tempered, sulky, peevish - what ever adjective you want to pick.  There usually is no particular reason.  It seems that if I woke up with that grumpy feeling, it stayed with me the entire day.  Poor me, poor children!  According to Gretchen's book it is not enough to want to be happy.  We have to work at it and take steps to change our grumpy mood.  Some of the steps that I am going to do are:
  

  • Go to bed earlier.  I get up at 6:00 on school days, so that means I should go to bed at 10:00 to get 8 hours. 
  • Exercise - I have started exercising three times a week - 2 days of Zumba and 1 day of walking.  I want to add a Saturday class for a total of 4 days a week.
  • DeClutter - I am working on this as we speak (I mean write).  I want to be totally decluttered and organized before school starts.  When school begins, I will do a minute or 15 minutes here and there.
  • Make To Do Lists for everything
  • Lighten up and sing in the morning.
  • If I wake up grumpy, check my attitude and think about having a light heart, and a loving and kind spirit.  
  • Act the way I WANT to feel.  I don't want to feel bad, so change my actions if necessary.
When I am happy in the classroom I am more patient and kind with the children.  I have more energy and am willing to give 100%+ to my teaching.  Creating a happy atmosphere in my classroom next year is at the top of my list! 

You can check out Gretchen's blog at www.happiness-project.com

Warm Regards,

Kathy






                                                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment